A hearty sauce with lentils and carrots over zucchini noodles! A flavorful, healthy, 30-minute plant-based meal.
Poké bowls, originating from Hawaii traditionally feature a fish salad made with tuna, soy sauce, sea salt, green onions, maui onions and limu. It’s also just served over white rice without any fancy salad stuff (I believe that’s what Western culture did to the humble Poké bowl). The best thing about these bowls is that really, you can do it with any meat you like. Technically speaking, it’s not a Poké bowl, but because all the cool kids are doing it, I thought I would get in on the action too.
This is a perfect fiesta dish. It’s an explosion of Mexican flavours and textures: creamy guacamole meets spicy beans and crispy potatoes. Yum!
MAKES 2 BOWLS
• 500g yellow potatoes, sliced
• ½ tomato, finely chopped
• 1/3 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
• 1/3 red onion, finely chopped
• 1 avocado, mashed
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 225g low-sodium kidney beans, drained
• 400g crushed tomatoes
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
• 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut yoghurt
• Fresh coriander
1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C. Place potatoes on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
2. To make salsa, combine the tomato, coriander, onion, avocado and the lime juice in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Make the bean chilli by putting the beans, crushed tomatoes, cumin, smoked paprika and cayenne in a pan. Simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
4. Place the potatoes, salsa and bean chilli in your Coconut Bowls and garnish with coconut yoghurt and coriander.
Recipe by Alexandra Andersson @fivesechealth
Alexandra was born and raised in southern Sweden. While she still lives in Sweden, her dreams are elsewhere. Alexandra’s passion is to inspire people to live a healthy lifestyle that benefits not only ourselves, but our planet and animals. Together with her brand Fivesec Health, Alexandra believes we can change the world.