There’s just something so amazing about the combination of pecan and caramel, and this version is made using primarily whole plant foods! Everyone, even those who were not vegan, will love them! Makes: 12 bars
2 cups almond meal
1/4 cup vegan vanilla protein powder
1/3 cup rice malt syrup
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
PECAN CARAMEL LAYER
1/2 cup coconut cream
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
2 cups pecans, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
1. Prepare a square baking tin with non-stick paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C(375°F).
2.Shortbread Base: mix all ingredients together until a dough forms. Transfer this as an even layer into your baking tin and use a fork to poke holes in it.
3. Bake the base for 12-15 minutes until golden. Remove and pop this in the fridge to cool
4. Make the Pecan caramel layer: add the coconut cream, coconut sugar and syrup to a small pot on medium heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer for 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Add in the pecans and then transfer the entire mixture as an even layer over the shortbread base
5. Bake the slice for another 22-25 minutes until the pecans are nicely toasted
6. Remove from the oven and allow the slice to fully cool before slicing. The caramel will firm up as it cools down.
*Storage tips: in an airtight container at room temp for 2 days, fridge for a week or frozen for months.
Michelle is a Dentist and vegan food blogger from Brisbane. She loves sharing simple & tasty vegan recipes via her Instagram platform @run2food. She has also created a website with an archive of all her recipes www.run2food.com. Michelle is on a mission to show that you can thrive off a plant-based diet.