If you’re looking for a nutrient-packed meal that keeps you full, energised and happy, this is for you! Caramelised onion and mashed avocado makes it extra comforting and while the wraps' ingredients are very simple, they’re as soft as the store-bought ones, only healthier!
Recipe by Amelie Balland (@amelietahiti)
1 cup greens of choice (spinach, lettuce)
Sweet & Spicy mix (see below)
4 wraps (see below)
Sweet & Spice Mix
2 cardamom cloves
a handful of fresh coriander
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coconut oil
¼ tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp maple syrup
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp paprika
A 400g can red kidney beans (or chickpeas), rinsed & drained
1 tsp tamari
2 tbsp tomato paste
Homemade Wheat Tortilla (makes 4 medium)
2 cups all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
¾ cup water
Homemade Wraps Method:
1. Combine all ingredients in a big bowl till it's one homogenous dough.
2. Knead the dough on a flat, floured surface, for couple of minutes. Set in ball for 10 minutes.
3. Divide dough in 4 equal parts. Roll each into a 20cm diameter tortilla, using a rolling pin. Adjust flour if too sticky. It should be easy to flip, elastic and very thin.
4. Heat up a pan, place your wrap and cook each side for 1 minute.
Tip: I like to keep my wraps warm, in a dishcloth. If they have become harder, add a little bit of water on the dishcloth, and microwave them wrapped up for 30 seconds.
GF OPTION : for a gluten free option, you can try with other flours like buckwheat, or use a store made GF wrap!
1. Dice the onion and add it to a frying pan with coconut oil on medium heat. Let it golden for 5 minutes.
2. Add all spices to the pan, along with tomato paste and a tablespoon of water. Stir till fragrant, for about 2 minutes. Add remaining Veggie Mix ingredients. Cook another 5-10 minutes on low heat. Meanwhile do step 3.
3: Mash avocado with a fork, and add desired amount of chili flakes and bit of lemon juice. Make thin carrot stripes with help of a peeler ! :)
4. Assemble the burrito ! On your wrap, add some Veggie Mix, greens of choice, carrot slices, and some avocado mash. Fold wrap over ingredients, keep tight and fold sides towards the center. Keep on rolling!!
5. To secure the burrito, wrap it tight with parchment paper or foil, and place it on high heat in a pan for about 2 minutes. This will seal it! Then slice in half and remove paper when reaady to eat:)
6 : Serve with a green salad on the side.. or potato chips ! For a more 'festive' version : put in the oven, covered with vegan cheese if you want! if you do, simply add the greens & guacamole afterwards & serve with the vegan sour cream from my ebook!!! :p